The way to a man's heart...
Recently, I have been doing some self-analysis, and have
come to an unorthodox conclusion: When
it comes to cooking, I love to spoil men.
Call me crazy, but there is just something so completely, and totally,
“primally” satisfying about serving a fantastic, hearty meal to appreciative
men!
Now, I know all my feminist friends are shaking their heads,
and stewing in their own juices (don’t boil over! :-) ), so just hold on-
you might like the next part. You see,
when I realized this truth, I suddenly asked myself, “Why? What is it, beyond my personal desire to make
people happy, that actually makes it even more
enjoyable to feed men?” The
answer I finally came to was a little surprising: Being a good cook is powerful.
Hear me out; I swear I don’t think I’m completely nuts on
this one. Let’s take a journey through
my thoughts (buckle your seat belt- this brain is one heck of a place to travel!).
As a child, I must have heard the women around me say a
million times over, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” Now, as a girl, the saying didn’t really mean
anything; it was just a funny thing to say.
All the women around would laugh & nod when they said it; agreeing
wholeheartedly, “Yep! You want him
happy, you keep him well-fed!” I didn’t
realize the full truth of this adage until much, much later- like… last week. You see, I believe that the ability to cook,
much like a woman’s ability to sew a button or shave a man’s beard, are
ancillary criteria that men use when choosing a mate. You think I’m crazy, don’t you? Well…hear me out first, then you can call me
nuts!
By the time I got to college, I had learned a few tricks of
my own. I had worked in a restaurant
& in catering, and was coming to realize that I was a fair hand in the
kitchen. I used to cook for friends in
my dorm in college. For the bigger
events, I always tried to take something special: baked chicken, a ham, cornbread… something
NOT ramen noodles, y’know?? It was then
that I began to notice that, while everyone was appreciative, the male response
was different. It wasn’t just the
standard, “Hey, this is some good stuff, Meg!”
I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was an intangible, deep
appreciation for me, personally, not just the outcome of my efforts- even from
the guys who were already taken! Hey…
who was I to complain; a young, single woman, with a room full of admiring
young fellas… Sure! I’ll take it!
Time passed, and I met & married my husband; a man whose
mommy makes the “world’s best” cornbread, chicken & dumplings and biscuits
& gravy! Whew! Tough act to follow!! I knew I had passed the test, though, not
when he told me, personally, that he appreciated my food, but when he started asking
me to take certain dishes to parties, or when friends were coming over. Then, the real kicker: the bragging began.
You see, bragging rights, to a man, are immensely
important. Nearly everything in a man’s
world is a competition, and anything you can do, as his mate, to “up the ante”
is increasing his overall value! Therefore, being able to cook holds power (and you thought I was kidding!).
Need another example?
My cousin’s husband has started posting an almost-daily detail of
everything available for dinner in “Miss Britt’s Kitchen”. The details are amazing, and undeniably mouth-watering! And… she daily increases his worth, because
he married a woman who can cook such deliciousness!
The real kicker; the ultimate flattery from this husband of
mine, came two weeks ago when he told me that he was bragging about my meatloaf
to the guys in his office. The response
from his boss: “Well now, I can’t say whether she has the best meatloaf or not,
since I’ve never tasted it! You’ll have to bring some in, and we’ll decide!”
LOL… oh, men! They
drive us women crazy, and make us want to pull our hair out, but we adore them! I think our ancestors, truly, had them
figured out a long, long time ago: “The
way to a man’s heart IS through his stomach.”
Time to go make that meatloaf!
Comments
Post a Comment