My third child



Most people think I only have two children.  While this is, technically, true (I have only BIRTHED two children), I actually have three “children”. 

My daughter & son are my pride & joy (even on days when they drive me nuts), but “child” #3 has been with me longer than the others, is actually older than I am, has gotten thick around the middle, can clear a room when he passes gas & is covered in a fine coat of brown & black fur.  No…. I am not referring to my husband.  I’m talking about my 10 yr old Boxer dog, Rex; my pal. 

Rex is, in many ways, a girl’s best friend:  he always listens when you talk, keeps you safe, loves to snuggle & is happy to let you slide your ice-cold toes under him, and has no problem telling you when he disagrees with your decision (if it is for your own good).   In real terms:  he is loving & loyal, fiercely protective, opinionated… yeah… he’s a grouchy old man!  We rescued the Old Fart (aka: The Beast, Mutt, Old Man, actually we rarely call him “Rex”!) from one of my husband’s relatives.  Her ex-husband had purchased Rex as a peace offering for her 12 year old son- without first discussing it with her.  So… roughly 6 months later, we inherited an adorable, 8.5 month-old brindle boxer puppy with big, floppy ears & more energy than you could describe! 

So!  I am dedicating a portion of my blog to “Child #3”:  My dog, Rex.  Below are a couple of short stories about our adventures with the Beast!

The Kong
Shortly after Rex came to live with us, we started noticing that he was getting bored during the day.  We blocked him off in our kitchen, thinking he would have few things to destroy in this mostly barren room.  Boy!  Were we wrong! 

My husband and I had moved into our home a month or two before getting Rex.  We had just made our first “big” purchase for our home:  A little drop-leaf table & four chairs for our kitchen.  During the day, we dropped one of the leaves, pushed the table to the wall & made more room for The Beast. 

My mother had just gotten me a new CD; one of those Starbuck’s specials:  a collection of Nat King Cole!!  Oh!  I was SO excited to get it!  I left for work that morning, leaving the NKC cd on the new kitchen table, pushed all the way to the back.  Work was work; the day went by & I came home.

When I walked into the kitchen, I was greeted with quite a sight:  Cellophane was everywhere, along with tiny bits of hard plastic.  “What the heck did you get into, Rex???” I asked, both ticked off and concerned.  Then, I saw the cd.  Good ol’ Nat King Cole.  It was broken into multiple pieces, and a portion of it seemed to be missing.  “Rex!!!”  Well… that’s a cd I’ll never get to hear!  Just when I started to get good and ticked off, I noticed blood on the corner of the cd.  Great!  The darned dog has cut himself chewing on it, and if he ATE the cd he could be bleeding internally. 

I called the vet, and they got us in right away. 
When I told the vet what happened, he laughed, “Wow!  That’s a new one!  I’ve heard of dogs eating all number of things, but never yet a cd!”

So!  A full set of x-rays (and the monstrous vet bill that comes with that mess) later, my crazy pooch was declared healthy.   I went away with three valuable lessons from my vet:

  1. Dogs are garbage cans; they can eat & process almost anything.  Keep it out of reach if you don’t want it to disappear.
  2. Boxer puppies are destructive when bored:  Buy a kong & fill it with peanut butter. 
  3. Rex is not a fan of Nat King Cole! 
We bought a kong and lots of peanut butter the very next day, and I only listen to Nat King Cole at Christmastime.  :-)

Comments

  1. lol Aww Rex! My dog Scout used to get in to EVERYTHING. I'd return from work to find a shoe chewed up, and I wound up with about a dozen shoes with no match. I got used to coming in and scolding him. One day I came home and my leather jacket was in the middle of the floor chewed on. I was livid and started to yell at him until I saw that my other dog, the innocent little Bichon who NEVER does anything wrong, had a little piece of leather still hanging out of her mouth. Busted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rainy Day Hair

We have a ghost in our house!