Blessed Weirdness!

I remember distinctly the day I first realized my child was weird.   

I went to school to pick up my daughter, who was almost 2 yrs old at the time.  The director of her school was in her classroom.  As I was gathering my little girl's belongings, the director said to me, "Okay... I just have to know how you do it."
"Do what?" I said with a chuckle.
"How do you get her to eat brussell sprouts???"
"Um...," I thought for a moment. We didn't do anything special really, "We just feed them to her, and she eats them," I chuckled, beginning to recover myself from the surprise of the question.  "We eat them, and no one has ever told her NOT to eat them, so... she eats them."  The director smiled and shook her head, blonde hair swaying slightly, "In all the years I have been doing this job, I have never, EVER seen a child who would not only eat brussell sprouts, but ask for MORE!"  Parental pride began to swell in my chest.  Whatever else we may be doing wrong, this we were doing oh, so right!!  I smiled back at the director, "If you think she eats brussel sprouts well, you should see what she does to a plate of broccoli!"

Yes, my child is weird:  She LOVES vegetables, and not your average veggies- the ones most people think are icky! 

To our parental delight, this love of foods other people find difficult to like has carried over into our second child, and, if possible has expanded!  The teachers at our son's school joke that he is going to be a chef, because of how he eats:  He dips his spoon into whatever he is eating, takes a tentative taste, savors it, says, "mmmm", then dives in for a bite. 

Here's a list of things my kids like that people find strange:
Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots (raw or cooked), bell peppers,  fish in almost any form, hummus, a variety of cheeses that go beyond american & cheddar- muenster & gouda being the two that amaze me,  salad, ranch dressing on pizza, yogurt, and, in my son's case, hot sauce & iced tea! 

My daughter is getting to the age where her friends are starting to have an influence on what she likes to eat, but she is still willing to try new things.  My kids may be weird, but this particular weirdness is a blessing. 

I'm so glad my kids are weird!  ;-)

Comments

  1. Kari Martin-CollinsMarch 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM

    I have a weirdo too. One of the sweetest memories I have is of Karissa's third birthday. She requested Red Lobster and in the sweetest little voice asked for "sawad wiff wanch and crab wegs wiff extra wemon." The waitress asked if she would really eat it. As predicted she finished every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    Kyle and Steve loved brussell sprouts, peppers, celery, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli. They would not touch a pea, green bean or corn. You said the magic words....that's what we eat. I love your blog just about as much as I love You.

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie ate calamari until someone told her that eating squid was gross, then she wouldn't touch it after that--she was, however, the only little kid that would eat goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My third child

Rainy Day Hair

We have a ghost in our house!