Stories of a Beatle Bug...

If you have been following my blog, you know by now that I have two children:  A daughter who turns 5 in the spring, and a son who is 20 months old.  My son is full of rambunctious, little boy antics, and you have read several accounts of his escapades in my blog.  I have not, however, given sufficient insight into the world of my amazing little girl.  I thought about why this is the case, and have come to the conclusion that my little beatle's stories are precious, delicate pearls next to the flame of her brother's blazing rubies!  So!  I have decided to dedicate this entire entry to capturing the wonderful snippets that make being with my daughter so rewarding.

Stories of a Beatle Bug:

A few days ago a certain family member had just spent some... quality time... in the bathroom, and left rather an aroma in the wake.  My daughter bee-bopped down the hall, and bounced, humming, into the bathroom.  A moment later, she walked back out, hand over her mouth, and eyes rolling dramatically.  My husband happened to be in the hall at that moment, "Da-a-adeee!  EEEEeeewwww!" 

"What's the matter, B?" he asked.
"The bathroom stiiiinks!" she replied.
"I'll get some air freshener.  I bet we can fix it."
"Okay Daddy."  My husband walked to the closet, and got the bottle of dragon-fruit scented air freshener (my favorite).  "What flavor is it, Daddy?"
"Dragon fruit."
"Dragon fruit??" she said, crinkling her nose.
"Yes."
"Won't that smell weeeeird?"
"No.  It smells good.  See:" my husband began to spray the bathroom with the air spray.  Waiting a few seconds to allow the smell to settle, my husband again addressed our child, "See?  It smells nice."
My daughter drew in a deep sniff, "Mmmmm.  You're right, Daddy!"  My darling child looked up at her father, smiled broadly, and said in her most serious voice,
"Dragon farts smell good!!"

Last weekend we decided to go to the museum to see the Cleopatra exhibit.  Beatle was VERY excited, and couldn't wait to go see the "Jip-shins" (Egyptians).  We went to church before the museum, and dropped the kids at children's church.  When we picked them up after service, her teacher said, "So... you're going to the museum, huh?"  We nodded.  "She has talked about nothing else since she got here.  She can't wait to see the Egyptians." 
At the museum, my beautiful child was completely enthralled by the displays.  She soaked it all in like a sponge, and had a million questions when we left.  After such an exciting afternoon, she fell fast asleep in the backseat on the way home.  I love it that she loves to learn!

A few days ago, I decided to make jambalaya for dinner.  When the meal was prepared, my dearest daughter saw the food in her bowl, huffed, shrugged her shoulders, and said, "Awww, Mommy... I told you, I'm not a FAN of rice this week!" 
I smiled, "Well, B, this isn't your typical rice.  Try it.  I think you will like it."  B did try it, and ate every bite.  When she was done, I said, "Wow... what happened?  I thought you weren't a fan of rice this week."  B rolled her eyes, blushed a little and said a bit shyly, "Weeell... I guess I'm not a fan of PLAIN rice!"

At bedtime we say prayers.  For weeks on end now, Beatle has had the same prayer.  First, we pray the childhood standard:  Now I lay me down to sleep, followed by a list of people we pray for every night, then we each take a turn praying for things specific to that day/time.  This is what B has been asking for, "Dear God, please, please, please, please, please, please PLEASE, PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEEEESE, PLEASE, please please please please PLEASE, (takes a breath),please please please,(slowing down), please (breath), please (big breath), please God!  Please, let me be an animal doctor when I grow up!..." 

Cute doesn't begin to describe her.  My girl is sweet, smart, funny, and far too understanding of what's going on in the world around her.  Sometimes I forget I am talking to an almost 5 yr old.  She is a wonderful help to me, and so very, very much fun to be around. 

I just wanted to take a minute to share just a sample of some of the good times we have had lately.  *sigh*  Okay... time to go clean up cheerios from the floor & get the rest of the evening done.  ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My third child

Rainy Day Hair

We have a ghost in our house!