The Joys of Spring (aka Centipedes freak me the heck out!)
Ah! Springtime in Ohio!
It is truly a thing of beauty:
Grass so green it hurts your eyes (thanks to a near-constant dousing of
rain- maybe I fell asleep & woke up in Seattle…), air scented with the
sweetness of lilac, honeysuckle, hyacinth & pear trees, birds sing lovely songs
to celebrate this glorious season; calling all the other animals to come out of
their hiding spots & celebrate this beauty!! The temperatures are moderate, and most days
you can sit outside & enjoy the sunshine.
Evenings, you slip a light jacket on everyone, and daddy mows the lawn
& the kids play soccer or bubbles while mommy throws some burgers on the
grill. *sigh*
Sounds idyllic, doesn’t
it? Not quite. You see, we live in a world where good comes
with bad; yin & yang; there has to be a balance or you don’t appreciate the
stunning beauty of the “good”.
“Into each life some rain
must fall, some days be dark and dreary.” (H.W. Longfellow)
Oh, Mr. Longfellow, you must
surely have experienced an Ohio
springtime! For rain it does… and
how!! According to a local news station,
our area “shattered” the record for rainfall last year. To this point, looks like we might be lining
up to go for the title again!! The
biggest drawback to the rain, from my perspective, is easy to spell out: B U
G S!
That’s right: BUGS.
When the rain falls, the insects seek higher ground, which, apparently
means MY HOUSE!! While ants are industrious
little creatures, their industrious presence is not needed INSIDE my
home!!
I have flowers, lovely
flowers, that grow outside my kitchen window.
When it rains, the ants that help to keep the soil for my pretty flowers
fertile climb up-up-up and right in my kitchen window! No, no, no… you must go!! (Sorry, Thomas the
Train flashback) I have scrubbed, and
have cleaned, I have even sprayed the window ledge with bug spray, but I am
beginning to think the ants have me seriously out numbered this year! I will admit, I have reached the point where
I patrol my kitchen multiple times a day with a can of good old Lysol spray (which I have
discovered not only kills them on contact, but they do not like),
indiscriminately murdering any ants moving on my window ledge!!
As much of a nuisance as the
ants are, these I can manage (so long as Lysol keeps making that spray!). There are other critters, however, that
really send me over the edge:
Centipedes. Let’s talk centipedes for a moment, shall
we? These creatures, I can’t even call
them bugs, are surely from another planet.
I mean… they surely don’t look like anything from this world- a hundred
legs all wiggling at once and no head to speak of; they’re all body &
legs! Oh… and I think they
teleport! No, seriously. I’ve never seen a bug move that fast! One second they’re on one side of the room,
and before you can grab the shoe on the floor beside you, they’re on the OTHER
side of the room!! Criminey! They make spiders look FRIENDLY! *shudder!*
Ugh!! Nicely put, these beast
Fuh-REAK me out (insert knee bend & raised, flared-finger hand here)!!
So! My battle with the insect population of Ohio will continue, and,
at some point I will win. In the
meantime, I will continue to go close my eyes & listen to the birdsong from
my back yard, laugh at the silly antics of the squirrels as they chase one
another around the tree trunks, glory in the feel of the sunshine on my face,
and stalk the ants with a can of spray and the centipedes with a steel-toe
boot! J
Happy Springtime everyone!
Hi, Meg!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed spending time with your mom on an accreditation trip last week! She told me about you and your family, and I look forward to becoming better friends through our blogging adventures!
Much love from one working mom to another!
Tammy
Thanks Tammy! I am going to try to find your blog today. I hope you enjoy my little snippets about the craziness of this beautiful, funny life!
Delete